Thursday, February 12, 2026

Barefoot Journey - Week 3-4 - The First Cycle

So I'll admit, these posts have turned into a cop out way to just summarize our weeks. Now that we've made it to the first trim, I'm going to just start adding hoof pictures to the monthly wrap up posts instead. 

Monday, Day 14 (1/26/26): 

Fully scoot booted up, we hit the trails with the equibands on. This was a bit inspired by the fat I saw accumulating around his tail base. We did 8 miles in 2 hours, and he felt great the whole time. I was thinking how  he hadn't tripped AT ALL as we were almost home. Then he tripped in a pot hole and felt like he was going to fall on his face. But other than that, no hind leg slipping feeling, and no trips up front. 


Sandy colored pony with the sandy road

My foot and his booted foot. At some point I'll probably stop twisting around to check that he's still wearing all 4 boots. They seem to stay on pretty darn well. 



This mini galloped in and out of weeds like a little demon. I had to hop off because just as BB would get it together, the mini would gallop at the fence again, causing a spin and attempt to bolt. 

See, it's a mini horse not a chupacabra

He spooked at himself as we passed this, so we had to turn back to investigate


Little shop of horrors - demon mini, donkey he desperately wanted to love, and waaaayyyy in the back a goat that thankfully opted not to get involved 

Mini preventing BB and the donkey from becoming BFFs

Slight rub marks on the hoof post ride, but nothing on his skin. I guess the rub on the hoof is normal/okay? It didn't appear to take off much hoof, just the dirt really 

We also got chased by a dog belonging to idiots who didn't close the gate in spite of being in the yard. Fortunately BB is a saint and even though we were trotting by when it left the yard, he cantered for a bit, but then let me stop him and turn him at the running dog. Once we did that the dog retreated. I was pissed, but kept my mouth shut other than yelling at it to get the f*** home. 

Tuesday, Day 15 (1/27/26): 

At this point I'm wondering when I'm calling the child 27 weeks old instead of just 2 years old. But as long as I continue doing a day-by-day log, numbering each day makes sense. 

Very short dressage ride in the arena. It was cold. I was hungry. We did some nice trot work, cantered each way, and called it good. 

Wednesday, Day 16 (1/28/26): 

Jump lesson after which PW gave us his blessing to continue on shoeless. 



Thursday, Day 17 (1/29/26):

Long hack with Ms. GY in his scoots. Then we practiced Training test A on the grass. It was definitely the best run through we've ever done. We still need far more collection after the canter lengthenings, but overall it was good. 

Sunday, Day 20 (2/1/26): 

Well the first chip happened to his right front foot. Just cosmetic at this point. We did a barefoot ride on the grass, and he felt good foot wise. He was kind of hot and spooky, but it was 40 and windy and everything was rustling near the dressage arena. 


Monday, Day 21 (2/2/26): 

We had a lesson, recap to follow. As far as feet go, he felt great. 

It's still very interesting to me to watch how the parts of the foot that were pressed onto the shoe for so long reshape themselves. Again, I'm just thrilled with how hard his feet are. 
Right hind

Left hind

Right front 

Left front

Tuesday, Day 22 (2/3/26): 

I rode him at home in the arena and kept it short and sweet. He was a good boy and felt good. 

Wednesday, Day 23 (2/4/26): 

We went to Sweet Dixie to canter. As mentioned last fall, their footing is consistently soft, so I thought it would be an okay place to add back some fitness work. It was interesting feeling him adjust to feeling the ground barefoot. He slipped once behind coming down a hill, but then not again. He truly has more traction than in shoes, which makes a lot of sense, but potentially even more than in shoes with studs. 

Pony essentials after unloading: pee 

And then get a nice long drink

This is a beautiful place 

Thursday, Day 24 (2/5/26): 

More dressage at home in the arena. 

Friday, Day 25 (2/6/26): 

We kept the cycle short this first go round, and he got trimmed again. His trimmer was thrilled with how he looked. I was out of town for the weekend, so snapped these pictures on Monday. 

Left front

Left front- as I add these, I'm realizing I need to include more of the leg so the HPA can be assessed

Left hind

Left hind

Right hind - tiny bit of bruising at the toe growing out

Right hind - multiple months ago he cut himself in what would have been a heel grab were it not lateral and on a hind foot - that is still growing out. This is the foot that wants to have the lowest heel anyways. 

Right front

Right front


Overall, I would say this is a good path that we're on. I am AMAZED at how hard his feet are. The difference between the crumbliness of Ben's vs. Butterball's rock hard little pony feet is incredible. It looks like we will have all the nail holes grown out before the rain really starts. I've been treating with a combination of Jim Ricken's #1 and Farrier's fix still. I haven't felt the need to Keratex since the feet feel so hard to me. 

His traction feels way better without shoes as well. Which makes complete sense. He does feel a bit weak in his right hind right now in the canter. Whether that is the foot or genuine weakness is TBD. And we truly may never know since we're upping his conditioning work and strengthening at the same time as my trimmer is working her magic on his feet. 

He'll get touched up next on the 18th so that we can keep correcting in tiny increments. 

4 comments:

  1. His feet! Man I would pay to have Mae's feet as tough as that. She continues to be barefoot (had a stone bruise earlier this week) through the winter and I'm trying to keep her that way

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those feet really look fantastic!! Congrats on making it thru the first cycle with minimal drama, here’s hoping it stays that way! My first lease horse had lovely sturdy Arab feet that I 100% did not fully appreciate LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Showing this post to my 30-year-old ex-riding-school-pony who worked in shoes for years. Pulled them when she retired, thinking that she's a hardy little pony who is now spending her days lolling around in a soft, sandy, grassy pasture. They promptly fell apart. Meanwhile BB is out here eventing and crushing it lol

    ReplyDelete