![]() |
DH and I had in fact hit some of the face points with his dolphin stim, so we were on the right track. But the hard part about the dolphin stim is you have to keep touching, so they basically can't move their face. The electroacupuncture made that somewhat easier. But the needles for the face are quite short, so they did want to pull out during his treatment.
His vet commented, and I definitely see it in the pictures above, that he was somewhat poorly muscled all over. She said it was everywhere from his masseter muscles on his jaw to his back to his hind end. She also pointed out some spots of regional adiposity. She told me that there is new info that insulin spikes highest in January, so recommended testing him again. I last did that in September of 2024 and he was at 20, which is the highest spot of the normal range. Pending those results, she recommended either topping his feed with a higher protein dressing or switching him to a low NSC performance feed. If he was in the 20-50 range she recommended trying diet alone, potentially KER brand low NSC, limiting grass, etc. If he was over 50, she recommended one of two pharmaceutical options.
![]() |
| June, when I think he was actually looking his best |
Since moving to Ms. GY's, he has eaten ration balancers of a variety of brands. I think he actually looked his best back when we got the portions right at his old barn, so I messaged that barn owner. He was eating Seminole Equalizer at that point.
So I went and picked that up. While he ate the rest of his previous ration balancer, I top dressed his food with the Pre-Fuel liquid that EM recommended. It is distinctly NOT Butterball's fave (who really likes the taste of pure amino acids?), but he persists.
December: A week or two before his vet saw him
Fortunately his insulin results came back well within the normal range at 9! And I feel like he is in fact building topline pretty well now with the grain change. The other change his vet recommended was switching him from Dac Oil to Ahiflower oil. The AI comparison basically mirrors what she said.
Anyways, the never ending saga of making sure things are as optimal for the Butterball as possible. But I very much appreciate his vet not just showing up for his coggins, but taking a look at the whole horse and making recommendations. She was the one who pointed out last January that he was standing abnormally after his feet were done; this led to our farrier change and likely saved a whole lot of discomfort for the pony in the long run.
Current diet:
- Seminole Equalizer: 1 pound twice daily
- Purina Outlast: 1.25 cups (0.6 pounds) twice daily; additional serving(s) before a ride or before trailering and then before working after getting off the trailer
- Ahiflower oil 30mL once daily
- Coastal grass hay 5-10 pounds per day
- Orchard grass hay 5 pounds per day






Oh interesting. Good to hear he's not dealing with insulin resistance! The 4:1 Omega-3:Omega-6 ratio of ahiflower oil sounds great. If I recall correctly, it's preferable to have at least a 1:1 ratio, ideally more O-3 than O-6. DAC oil has almost twice as much Omega-6 as it does Omega-3, which could skew a diet's ratio pretty easily. Hope the diet changes are the answer for him!
ReplyDeleteAh, that's good to know the desired ratio of 3:6! Hopefully this makes for a positive change for him.
DeleteHe’s looking great in the newer pics! Feeding the ‘easy keeper but somehow also not’ type really is its own challenge. Glad his insulin came back nice and low too, that must have been a relief.
ReplyDeleteIt definitely was! We would've dealt with it, but it's nice to not have to.
DeleteKeep us posted on how the ahiflower oil is. We had to pull Dalton off DAC pretty early on because it was messing with his stools and never replaced it with anything else
ReplyDeleteWill do! BB's stools were fine on the DAC oil, the only thing I've found that gives him loose stool is actually soaked alfalfa pellets (but not cubes...). Something about that type of fiber maybe??
DeleteNot gonna lie I’m not so secretly grateful for being able to more or less shovel calories into my thoroughbred without having to be too too scientific about it… BB looks great tho, glad you have been able to dial it in for him!
ReplyDeleteThanks! I'm sure it's all about to change again since the grass is growing a ton right now with the rain and warm weather.
Delete