Oh man guys. When I bought Butterball, his owner gave me his papers with Welsh Pony and Cob Society of America. His name on those papers was WPF Who's Your Daddy. His barn name was West. He had a prior limited registration with USEF as WPF Golden Boy. And he was registered with USEA as WPF Westerlie: a combination of his breeder's prefix Whispering Palms Farm; his sire's name, Westporte; and his dam's name, Lorelei Socialite.
By the time I bought him, Hillary had nicknamed him Butterball, which I felt like had the added personality that he deserved, so we definitely kept that. And I picked WPF Westerlie as his official show name. When I lifetime registered him with USEF I used WPF Westerlie. They merged his prior record. But that was not the end of his name changes though.
I submitted scores to WPCSA for the year end awards last year. But then I got a rather confused email regarding the lack of existence of a WPF Westerlie. So I paid for a name change (with his breeder's written permission) from WPF Who's Your Daddy to WPF Westerlie. But... But... The board met about it and because, unknown to me, he had already had a name change from WPF Westlie to WPF Who's Your Daddy, they declined to allow another. Soooo we went back to WPF Westlie with WPCSA. And given that USEF wants $100 to process a name change, USEA wants $25, and USHJA wants $20, WPF Westlie and WPF Westerlie are as close as we're gonna get to having all his buttery goodness under one name.
To date, Ben had my favorite registered name: This Way to Heaven. He was USEA registered as Ben'Jammin, but I changed back to his Jockey Club name immediately because I liked the name and on the off chance any race connection wanted to find him, that would make it easier.
Any of y'all have horses with multiple names? Do you buy into the superstition that you should never change a name?


I definitely don't buy into the superstition that you shouldn't change a name, except that I really feel strongly about keeping the breeder's prefix/suffix if you change it, which I'm glad you always intended to do! That's frustrating that they wouldn't change it again. I'm glad they allowed the first change at least, that's a pretty terrible registered name. My current favorite US Welsh Cob stallion originally had an equally terrible name from his breeder, which they allowed the new owner to change.
ReplyDeleteI agree with this. So long as the breeder's tag persists, there's no harm in changing a name. But man, what an expensive name change!
DeleteI definitely wanted to continue to give credit to his breeder, and even support her needing to give me permission for the change. But obviously find the one change limit kinda silly, although I'm glad they allowed a return to the original.
DeleteD’aww BB <3 love this post haha, and I sorta secretly love that he has so many names! I personally am terrible at naming animals, so I generally stick with whatever they came with, and also appreciate the continuity esp for thoroughbreds. Maybe I’ll do a little run down for doozy’s name(s) too…
ReplyDeleteHis collection is pretty funny! You should definitely do Doozy's rundown.
DeleteHonestly, I’m in love with Butterball. Lol
ReplyDeleteMe too; sums up all the buttery goodness that he is.
Delete